What are the conditions?
Godparents are chosen by the person being baptized or in the case of an infant or child, by their parents. One or two godparents are allowed and if there are two, they must be of the opposite sex. The person chosen to be godparent:
- cannot be the child’s mother or father.
- be at least 16 years of age.
- must be Catholic or Orthodox (at least 1 must be Catholic) and
- have received their First Communion and Confirmation
- as well as living a life in harmony with the Faith.
Protestants are not admitted as official godparents, but they may act as official witnesses at the baptismal celebration and sign the baptismal register.
The parents and godparents should be prepared to assume their role in the baptism of children. They continue to help the baptized person to lead a christian life in keeping with baptism and faithfully fulfill the obligations it contains.
Ref: Code of Canon Law #872 -874